Sunday, November 1, 2015

Semi-Charmed Winter 2015 Book Challenge


Happy first day of November! The fog is foggy here in mid-Missouri, so I am getting ready to make a nice cup of tea and sit down for the day to read my library books. But first, I figured I would talk to you about a lovely challenge my friend Megan over at Semi-Charmed Kind of Life is hosting this winter!

I've known Megan since college, and she has a significantly better blogging history than I do. But I stumbled across her challenge this morning and I just knew I had to participate. Basically, the goal is to 200 points worth of books between today and January 31st. So what are the points based off of? Well the list is below along with the books I am planning on reading for each category (books subject to change).

5 points: Read a book that has between 100 and 200 pages. - Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (reread)
10 points: Read a debut book by any author. - Cinder by Marissa Meyer (reread)
10 points: Read a book that does not take place in your current country of residence. - Graceling by Kristin Cashore (fantasy location, does that count? If not, I'll choose something else)
10 points: Read a book that someone else has already used for the challenge. - TBD
15 points: Read a book published under a pseudonym (e.g. Robert Galbraith, Sara Poole, J.D. Robb, Franklin W. Dixon, Mark Twain, etc.). - Naked in Death by J.D. Robb
15 points: Read a book with “boy,” “girl,” “man” or “woman” in the title (or the plural of these words). - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
15 points: Read a book with a one-word title (e.g. AttachmentsAmericanahUgliesWild, etc.). - Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
20 points: Read a book with a person's first and last name in the title (e.g. The Storied Life of A.J. FikryThe Story of Edgar Sawtelle). - Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
20 points: Read a food-themed book. — TBD
20 points: Read a book with a verb in the title. - P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
30 points: Read two books with the same title (by different authors). [Edited to add: The titles must be the SAME save for alternate spellings. For example, The Alchemist and Alchemist would be two different titles and would not work for the challenge, but The Alchemist and The Alchemyst would work.] - Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell and Cloud Atlas by Liam Callanan
30 points: Read a nonfiction book and a fiction book about the same subject (e.g. a biography and historical fiction novel about the same person; two books about a specific war or event; a nonfiction book about autism and a novel with a character who has autism, etc. The possibilities are endless!). - TBD (history major problems, I have a lot of eras in history that interest me. I just need to narrow it down)

Looks like I'll be busy in the next 3 months. Especially since I will be adding other books on my own to read. Not to mention that I will be participating in National Novel Writing Month in November as well (post on this coming soon). I like to live on the edge like that. 

Click on the picture above to learn all about the challenge on Megan's blog.

Happy reading!


3 comments:

  1. Great choices...I love your Lunar Chronicles choices!! I can't wait for the 4th book, Winter, to come out!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! That's why I'm rereading the series! :)

      Delete